Monday, February 16, 2009

Get your roll on...

Your love is out of season/Be on your way...

That Dru Hill album...you know, the one they released before Sisqo dyed his hair platinum and starts dancing over the tops of thong wearing women in videos... It was the truth. I listened to it a lot over the weekend...and sang along and yes, even did the dance moves from the video. Don't judge me...

So, being the anti-cupid worked quite well. I spent the greater part of the day driving like a blessed fool to get to Boiling Springs to get something finished. That's at least an hour and some good change drive from Clemson. I made it well under an hour. 45 minutes to be exact. Juan Carlos is a GREAT car. The rest of the day I spent in my apartment, trying on shoes and possible ensembles for the week ahead and making my (famous...ask about it) shrimp pasta...with a slight variation of spinach instead of peppers and onions. Delish. I'd settled into bed to watch a movie...and then thought, hey, I've not been to a midnight movie in ages...let's make this happen. So, I did. I saw "Taken" which was a GREAT movie...though I need to warn you that you will come out of the movie way more patriotic than you may have ever thought possible. I may never travel internationally. Sunday was more of the same, another visit to Grandma's a little stimulus for the economy. It was a really good week-end all in all.

So, in case you didn't notice by my opening line... I've been really, really into old school music. I've downloaded stuff (all via iTunes, not so much because I'm anti-piracy, but because who doesn't love buying stuff for only $0.99???) that I haven't heard since my sophomore year. Things we used to listen to in Kim's car after she has taken 2 deep breaths to sober herself. Like, "Get your roll on". You know, back then the dances to songs were easy...now, you have to be all extra limber and coordinated. It's too much. And "Down Bottom"...and "Jigga My Nigga". Oh, you know you love those. You'd be killing it on the dance floor. Don't front... I downloaded Dru Hill...and some New Edition too. You know, I used to listen to exclusively R&B until I met the ex...and then he introduced me to Ghostaface Killah, OutKast and Killer Mike...and similar sounds. He created a monster. Which is unfair because he doesn't even listen to that stuff anymore...and I feel like a fiend he got hooked for funsies...boo. Now I'm addicted to hard beats, bass and treble...production first and then the quality of the lyrics. And R&B just doesn't soothe me like it used to. Now, when I'm in a ill mood, I listen to T.I. and Jeezy...not Marvin Gaye. I still appreciate the soulful music used to set the mood for my entire generation's procreation...I just don't listen to it in the car, that's all. Don't judge me...


And, I learned how to Rollerblade. YAY! I hadn't been on skates in about 10 years. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and was not leaving the store without a bicycle or Rollerblades. I really, really wanted a bicycle...but it wouldn't fit in my car. I mean, it would've...but I was kind of afraid to scratch the leather... So, Rollerblades it was. They are pink (of course...what else???) and silver. And a helmet to match (well, almost) and all sorts of pads. I'm nothing if not clumsy. I looked like a child taking his/her first steps. Laugh. It was funny. I really, really sucked and I almost gave up. For real. I'm usually really good at everything I want to do the first time I try...and if not, definitely by the second. But this took some time. And I'm not perfect yet, but pretty soon I'll be taking on hills like a big girl :)

Later...

No comments: