Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I turned 27 yesterday. Yay!!! 30 is right around the corner. I'm not as afraid of 30 as I was just 2 years ago. Turning 25 felt like a death sentence. I spent most of that day pining over the loss of my early twenties and dreading the impending doom of the years to come. I felt unaccomplished and sad that day. And I must admit, 26 didn't feel that much better. But 27 is a good feeling.


Now, the title of this post may seem a little odd since new year's is still 3.5 months away...but I gave up making new year's resolutions a long time ago. They are much like rules, you know, made to be broken. And so rather than break yet another promise to myself I resolved only to make resolutions when the time felt absolutely appropriate...and that time is now.

So...here they are...in no real order...


*** Keep in touch with my friends... This past week-end I attended my friend (and sorority sister) Kim (and her husband Christoff)'s celebration of their recent nupitals. They were married in Germany in May and threw a similarly large celebration here in the states. AMAZING time. I saw so many people I hadn't seen in ages. My friend Jeanette (my travel partner to DC for the reception) and I hadn't seen each other in nearly 2 years. Facebook posts aren't going to do it anymore. I'm talking post cards and cards on birthdays and actual gift(cards) at Christmas.

*** No more emotionally unavailable boys. Enough said. No more boys that remind me of my ex. I seem to have a type and it's not a good one.

*** Get a better "type"

*** Be nicer. Wait, who am I kidding. I just became a badass. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm going to soften the edge a little. I'll try not and make boys cry...often...as often...

*** 5:30 AM gym time. No exceptions. Not even those calls that come closer to that time than a time that would have been reasonable. Not even hangovers...overnight guests...a big day the next day. Nothing. That's going to be my time. And the only way that works is if I'm there.

*** Listen to music that actually classifies as music in past decades. This means more old school, like Marvin and Tammy and the Supremes...less "Gucci Bandana" and the like.

*** More smiling. It's too cute to keep all to myself. However, just because I smile more doesn't mean I want you to come talk to me...because this will lead to a breaking of the aforementioned resolution of not making boys cry...as often. I'll have to be rude.

*** More real TV. And less reality TV. I watch a good bit of news and so forth now, but I have become a reality TV addict. It's probably because I don't really like people...well, at least the being around them part....and you know, its hard to observe human behavior without actually being around humans. So, as a consequence of my solo-ness I've resorted to watching what passes for appropriate in-public behavior these days on Bravo and MTV and VH1. I'm going to do better...

*** Drink more water...eat less sugar.

*** Lose the last 10 pounds. This is toughie. I don't know what my body wants to hover around a weight that I'm not at all happy with, but it seems to have found a place it likes. Well, it's got to move from that place. NOW.

*** This is huge...grow my hair out. *gasp*. I know...I know. I think I miss it.

*** Find the job. In the location. Sooner rather than later.

*** Post to my blog more. I know you need this folks ;) You people are like fiends for the next dose of the banana humor aren't you???

Later...

No comments: